Thursday, December 23, 2010

Change

So speaking of my other blog, I was going through and re-reading some old posts and came across one of few and far between posts that are more on the positive side....and it was a good reminder to me of some things that I really do think and that are important to me. 

I'm a huge NPR nerd, but does anyone else remember/know about a series they used to have called
This I Believe?   Actually, it's still ongoing through their website and podcast  http://thisibelieve.org/
It's basically a bunch of essays written be people from all walks of life, about their core values and the beliefs that guide their lives.  They've featured essays written by presidents, actors, dancers, scientists, Nobel prize winners, housewives, teachers and students.  It used to be the highlight of my week when it came on, and I used to fantasize about writing my own essay and it being chosen to be featured and what it would be about....I wrote several different versions and drafts but never quite had the energy and discipline to sit and narrow it down to just one belief to write about. And then the series ended and I kind of gave up on it....which is actually kind of stupid because really, there should be more personal motivation to really think about what you believe than just the possibility of being featured on a public radio program :p  But anyway....here is the closest I got:
. 

(7/28/08)
I believe in people's ability to change.
I believe that there are some people who are worth giving a second chance.
I believe you can make a living doing something you love,
and I believe it is worth the sacrifices along the way to make it happen.
I believe finding someone who will love you completely and without condition is worth waiting for.
I believe in the power of art to make people think.
I believe in understanding and accepting the consequences of your own actions.
I believe that people must be changed from the inside out.
I believe that true and sincere change is possible,
and I believe that that kind of change is always much harder than you expect it to be.
I believe that the only way for the world to change is for people to believe that the world can change and then choose to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment