Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dancing about architecture

* Scroll down and click the play button before reading on *

I love it when something has the ability to stop me dead in my tracks...for just a moment, the rest of the world stops and all the clutter in my head quiets and I am overtaken.  It's an incredible feeling.  And one that I haven't had in a while.

A line from one of my all-time favorite movies (Playing By Heart in case you're curious) is "You can't talk about music.  Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."  Keeping that in mind, I'm going to give it a shot anyway....

Earlier I was in the car on my way home, listening to a playlist comprised of "I And Love And You" by the Avett Brothers, the self-title album by Mt. Desolation, and "In Rainbows" by Radiohead (these 3 albums work together surprisingly well...I just put it on shuffle and it's magic).  I had just pulled into my driveway and was distractedly gathering my things before turning the car off, when Thom Yorke's voice hit this one note and I froze.  My breath caught and I was completely transfixed.  I sat motionless as the note soared into vibrato before trailing off...then the drums came back in, along with my breathing, as my eyes filled with tears.  These are the moments that I live for.  These are the moments that I am just arrogant enough to hope to create for others.  This is why I believe in art....really good art....that can inspire and change people's lives....even if it's just for the length of one note.



* the moment I was referring to happens at 2:59 in case you're wondering *

No comments:

Post a Comment